Print This Recipe
Bettered Corn Dogs
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1/2 cup fine-grain yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
1 each egg white
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon canola oil (or vegetable oil)
8 each (6-inch-long) lower fat hot dog
1. Preheat oven to 425degreesF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. In a smaller bowl, combine egg white, buttermilk, and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Pour batterinto a tall pint glass; you may need to refill the glass.
3. Spear each hot dog with a sturdy 8-inch wooden skewer, leaving about 2 1/2 to 3 inches of the skewer to use as a handle. Dip skewered hot dogs into thebatter and twirl to coat, letting the excess batter drip back into the glass. Place the dipped hot dogs on the prepared baking pan about 11/2 to 2 inches apart. If there are any exposed spots of hot dog, spoon additionalbatter on to cover. Cook in two batches if necessary.
4. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn the corn dogs over and bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes, until batter is firm. Remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes;serve warm.
Source: fresh magazine July, August 2010
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||180 kcal (9%)|
|Calories from Fat||81 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||9 g (13%)|
|Saturated Fat||4 g (17%)|
|Cholesterol||20 mg (6%)|
|Sodium||720 mg (30%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||17 g (5%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||9 g (15%)|