Print This Recipe
Moxie Chocolate Cake
Servings: Serves 20
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups regular Moxie soda (do not use diet), or cola, root beer, or Dr Pepper
1/2 cup unsalted butter, sliced into 8 pieces
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 2/3 cups Sour Cream, reduced fat
2 each eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Note: If you can't find Moxie, substitute cola, root beer, or Dr Pepper. May be frozen.
1. Preheat the oven to 350degreesF. Grease and flour a 9-by-13 baking pan.
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, combine Moxie and butter and heat over medium heat until butter is melted and the mixture is warm. Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa, then both the sugars. Stir in the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
4. Pour Moxie mixture into the flour mixture and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the surface.
5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 1 hour. Cut into 20 pieces and serve from the pan. Store, covered, at room temperature or refrigerated.
Source: fresh magazine July, August 2010
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||280 kcal (14%)|
|Calories from Fat||99 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||11 g (16%)|
|Saturated Fat||7 g (35%)|
|Cholesterol||40 mg (13%)|
|Sodium||210 mg (8%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||42 g (14%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||5 g (8%)|