Print This Recipe
Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Toast
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 29 minutes
Prep Time: 0 minutes
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 cups water
1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup dry white wine, divided
2 each Whole bay leaves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 each lemon, halved
4 cups ice cubes
2 lbs. Extra jumbo shrimp, raw (16-20 count), peeled and deveined
8 slices hearty italian bread, about 1 inch thick
4 teaspoon olive oil
2 each Cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Fresh parsley, chopped
1. Prepare the shrimp and brine. In a large saucepan or stockpot, combine salt, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When salt and sugar have dissolved, remove from heat and add 1/2 cup of the wine along with bay leaves and peppercorns. Squeeze one lemon half into pot and add remaining rind and pulp; reserve remaining lemon half. Set aside to steep 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400degreesF.
3. Add ice to brine and stir until mixture is cool and ice is melted. Place shrimp in a large resealable bag and pour brine over them. Seal bag, place it in a bowl or pan to catch any leaks, and refrigerate at least 15 minutes, but no more than 30 minutes.
4. While shrimp marinates, place bread slices directly on the oven rack and cookuntil toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove bread from oven. Cut each toast slice in half and place on a serving platter.
5. Drain shrimp, discarding brine, and rinse well under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
6. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until lightly browned and aromatic, about 30 to 60 seconds. Add shrimp and toss to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp is almost opaque, 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup wine, increase heat to high, and cook until shrimp is cooked through and liquid is reduced and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and squeeze juice from remaining lemon half over shrimp and stir in pepper.
7. Spoon shrimp over the toasts. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Source: Fresh Magazine September, October 2010
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||220 kcal (11%)|
|Calories from Fat||45 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||5 g (7%)|
|Saturated Fat||1 g (5%)|
|Cholesterol||170 mg (56%)|
|Sodium||510 mg (21%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||16 g (5%)|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g (4%)|
|Protein||26 g (43%)|