Print This Recipe
Pomegranate Glazed Turkey with Apple-Almond Stuffing
Servings: Serves 12 to 14
Cook Time: 200 minutes
Prep Time: 65 minutes
1 each (14 to 16 lb.) turkey, thawed, giblets and neck removed, rinsed well, and patted dry
4 cups water
4 cups country-style cubed stuffing mix
1 1/2 cups Almonds, sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 each celery ribs, finely chopped
1 each Sweet onion, finely chopped
2 each granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon Taste of Inspirations Cranberry Mustard
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or turkey broth
2 each eggs
2/3 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup Taste of Inspirations Cranberry Mustard
2 cups Nature's Place organic jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
4 each Fresh thyme sprigs
1/2 each kale, stems trimmed (optional garnish)
1 each pomegranate, broken into large pieces (optional garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place turkey, breast side up, on a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Add water to pan. Spray a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Prepare stuffing. Place stuffing mix in a large bowl. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, toast almonds until fragrant and lightly golden, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add to the stuffing mix.
3. In the same skillet, heat oil. Add celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly, about 5 minutes. Add apples, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and cranberries. Cook an additional 5 minutes, then add to the stuffing bowl. Toss well to combine.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk mustard, broth, and eggs together. Pour over stuffing and toss. Let stuffing sit for 5 minutes and toss again.
5. Fill the turkey cavity with stuffing, leav- ing a small amount of room for the stuffing to expand. Transfer extra stuffing (about 2 1/2 cups) to the loaf pan and distribute in an even layer. Cover pan with foil. Set aside.
6. Tuck turkey wings under the bird and tie drumsticks together with cooking twine. Spray the outside of the bird with olive oil or vegetable cooking spray. Place turkey in the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees. Roast for 2 1/2 hours.
7. While bird is roasting make the glaze. In a medium saucepan, combine pomegranate juice, mustard, cranberry sauce, sugar, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and whisk until smooth, about 3 minutes. Cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and add sprigs of thyme. Set aside.
8. After turkey has roasted for 2 1/2 hours, baste with the cooking juices. Place the pan of extra stuffing in the oven. Bake both for 15 minutes, then remove foil from the stuffing pan. Generously baste turkey with prepared glaze. Set aside remaining glaze.
9. Bake another 15 minutes, then check the internal temperature of the stuffing in the turkey. It should be 160 degrees when tested with an instant-read thermometer. If the stuffing is not the proper temperature, continue checking at 10 minute intervals. The extra stuffing is done when it has firmed up and is lightly toasted on top, about 40 to 50 minutes total.
10. Remove turkey from oven. Loosely wrap it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes. Reheat glaze over medium heat until warmed, about 4 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and discard. Transfer glaze to a small pitcher. Transfer stuffing from the turkey to a serving bowl.
11. If desired, pour the pan juices into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and reduce the volume by 1/3 to 1/2. Strain into a gravy boat.
12. To serve, place the whole turkey on a platter and surround with kale leaves and large pieces of pomegranate or pomegranate seeds if desired. Carve the turkey at the table. Alternately, carve the turkey in the kitchen and arrange the sliced meat on a serving platter, surrounded with kale leaves and pomegranate pieces.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2010
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Serves 12 to 14|
|Calories||960 kcal (48%)|
|Calories from Fat||378 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||42 g (64%)|
|Cholesterol||395 mg (131%)|
|Sodium||550 mg (22%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||44 g (14%)|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g (16%)|
|Protein||98 g (163%)|