Print This Recipe
Cranberry Surprise Muffins
Servings: Yields 12 Muffins
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
6 oz 1/3-less-fat (neufcha^tel) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 each egg
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoon Butter, unsalted, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 each eggs
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon demerara or turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375degreesF. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with vegetable cooking spray. Use a paper towel to spread spray around the edges and surface of the pan.
2. Prepare cream cheese filling. In a medi- um bowl, use an electric mixer on medium-high speed to beat the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and lime zest and beat until smooth. Set aside.
3. Prepare the muffins. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk or stir with a fork until well mixed. Add butter and use an electric mixer on medium-high to blend until the texture is like cornmeal. Alternately, use a fork or pastry blender.
4. In a separate bowl, gently whisk the eggs, being careful that they don't get too foamy. Whisk in the milk and vanilla. Pour into the flour-butter mixture and stir by hand just until incorporated. Stir in the cranberries.
5. Fill each muffin cup 1/3 of the way with the cranberry batter. Top each with some of the cream cheese filling, dividing it among the 12 muffins. Top with remaining cranberry batter. The muffin cups should be about three-quarters full. If desired, sprinkle each muffin with about 1/4 tsp. demerara or turbinado sugar.
6. Bake muffins until light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes, then remove from tins. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2010
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Yields 12 Muffins|
|Calories||220 kcal (11%)|
|Calories from Fat||99 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||11 g (16%)|
|Saturated Fat||6 g (30%)|
|Cholesterol||70 mg (23%)|
|Sodium||230 mg (9%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||28 g (9%)|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g (4%)|
|Protein||6 g (10%)|