Print This Recipe
Mexican Chocolate Pound Cake
Servings: Makes 16
Cook Time: 65 minutes
Prep Time: 40 minutes
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne, ground
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled (see step 2 on page 32)
6 each eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup plain regular greek yogurt
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan with vegetable cooking spray, using a paper towel to make sure pan is evenly greased. Dust with 1 Tbsp. of the cocoa, making sure surface is covered.
2. Sift remaining 3/4 cup cocoa, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cayenne into a medium bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Stir in the melted chocolate. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition, then mix in the vanilla.
4. With mixer on low, add a third of the flour mixture, mixing just until incorpo- rated. Mix in half the yogurt, then a second third of the flour, the remaining yogurt, and the remaining flour. Mix just until incorporated after each addition, then pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading with a spatula to even the surface.
5. Bake 55 to 65 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan, and invert onto a wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Transfer to serving plate.
6. Prepare the garnish. In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon. Sift over the cake. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||300 kcal (15%)|
|Calories from Fat||153 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||17 g (26%)|
|Saturated Fat||10 g (50%)|
|Cholesterol||100 mg (33%)|
|Sodium||160 mg (6%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||36 g (12%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||7 g (11%)|