Print This Recipe
Chicken Mole Tostadas
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 each onion, cut in half
1 1/2 lb Taste of Inspirations Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup Almonds, slivered
1 1/2 cups Broth, chicken, low sod
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 tablespoons tomato puree
1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 each chipotle chili peppers, or to taste (found in Produce)
1 teaspoon Ancho chili powder, ground (found in the spice aisle)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
6 each corn tortillas
Optional Garnishes: sliced avocado, shredded iceberg lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded Monterey jack cheese, sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add onion and chicken and poach until chicken is cooked through, about 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate to cool, and discard cooking liquid and onion.
2. While chicken cooks, toast sesame seeds and almonds in a large skillet over medium-high heat until pale brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor, add chicken broth, and blend until smooth.
3. In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat oil over high heat until sizzling. Pour in the nut mixture and stand back (it will splatter). Immediately reduce heat to medium.
4. Add the tomato pure?e, chocolate, chipotle peppers, ground ancho chili, cinnamon, and salt and stir frequently until chocolate melts. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook at a boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
5. Lower heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring every so often to make sure sauce doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove chipotle chilies from the sauce and discard.
6. Shred the poached chicken and add to the sauce. Cook until just warmed through.
7. Bake tortillas on a baking sheet in the oven until crispy and golden, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place 1 tortilla on each of 6 plates. Mound the chicken on top of the tortillas. Serve immediately, with your choice of garnishes in small bowls on the side.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||350 kcal (17%)|
|Calories from Fat||135 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||15 g (23%)|
|Saturated Fat||2 g (7%)|
|Cholesterol||65 mg (21%)|
|Sodium||280 mg (11%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||22 g (7%)|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g (16%)|
|Protein||32 g (53%)|