Print This Recipe
Chocolate Chili Truffle Cookies
Servings: Yields 6 dozen
Cook Time: 11 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
12 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder, ground
2 each eggs
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional Garnish: thin slices of dried chili pepper or chili flakes
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter in microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir, and microwave again for 30 seconds. Stir again. If needed, microwave for another 30 seconds, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.
3. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and ancho chili pepper into a medium bowl.
4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Stir in the chocolate-butter mixture until completely blended. Add the vanilla. With the mixer on low, stir in the flour mixture. Let mixture rest 5 minutes to firm up slightly.
5. Spoon the batter onto the baking sheets in heaping teaspoons, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until cookies are just barely firm. Cookies will spread and surface will appear crackled. Let cookies rest on the pans for 3 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining batter. Once cookies are cool, garnish with dried chili pepper, if desired. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, or may be frozen.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Yields 6 dozen|
|Calories||100 kcal (5%)|
|Calories from Fat||63 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||7 g (10%)|
|Saturated Fat||4 g (20%)|
|Cholesterol||15 mg (5%)|
|Sodium||25 mg (1%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||12 g (4%)|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g (4%)|
|Protein||1 g (1%)|