Print This Recipe
Campfire Pita Pizza
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 8 oz can no-salt added tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried italian seasoning
1 each plum tomato, diced
1 (8oz) pkg whole-wheat or white pita bread (8 pitas)
1 (8oz) pkg 1/3-less-fat shredded mozzarella (about 2 cups)
1 each green bell pepper, halved and thinly sliced (Optional)
1 each (2.25 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained (Optional)
1 pkg sliced mushrooms (Optional)
1/2 cup sliced pepperoni (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and diced tomato. Place optional toppings in small bowls with spoons.
3. Cut pitas in half across the middle and open each half to form a pocket. (If pitas are difficult to open, microwave on high for about 5 seconds to make the bread pliable.) Spoon 2 Tbsp. sauce into each half and spread evenly with the back of the spoon across one side. Add 1/4-cup cheese and your choice of optional toppings to each pocket.
4. Gently lay the pockets on the baking sheet sauce side up. Bake until pita is slightly browned and cheese has melted, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||250 kcal (12%)|
|Calories from Fat||54 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||6 g (9%)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g (15%)|
|Cholesterol||15 mg (5%)|
|Sodium||550 mg (22%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||39 g (13%)|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g (20%)|
|Protein||15 g (25%)|