Print This Recipe
Shrimp-Papaya Salad with Vanilla Vinaigrette
Servings: Serves 4
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Prep Time: 27 minutes
20 each (1 lb.), Large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails left intact
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons coconut milk
2 tablespoons safflower oil or canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 each ripe large (1 1/2 to 2 lb.) or 1 whole medium (1 lb.) papaya
5 oz (1 pkg.) Nature's Place Organic Baby spinach
2 each scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a large pot, bring 3 quarts water to a boil over high heat. When the water boils, add the shrimp. Stir, cover, and bring water back to a boil, stirring the shrimp once or twice. Once the water has returned to a boil (about 2 minutes), drain the shrimp, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Place a paper towel on a large plate and transfer the shrimp to the plate. Refrigerate the shrimp to chill for at least 20 minutes.
2. While shrimp chills, prepare dressing. Place orange juice, coconut milk, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and salt in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake the jar well to combine ingredients. Set aside to allow the flavors to meld.
3. Slice the papaya in half lengthwise. If it's large, reserve half for another use. Peel the half you're using and scoop out the seeds. Slice the papaya widthwise into thin slices. If the papaya is medium, use the whole papaya. Set aside on a plate.
4. Place the chilled shrimp in a bowl. Give the dressing a shake to blend and add 2 tablespoons or so to the shrimp. Toss to coat the shrimp with the dressing.
5. Divide the spinach among 4 plates and arrange 4 to 5 slices of papaya on top of the spinach on each plate. Spoon the remaining dressing evenly over the spinach and papaya. Arrange 5 shrimp on each plate and pour any leftover dressing evenly over the shrimp. Sprinkle scallions and 1 tsp. coconut over each plate and serve.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||290 kcal (14%)|
|Calories from Fat||108 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||12 g (18%)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g (15%)|
|Cholesterol||170 mg (56%)|
|Sodium||360 mg (15%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||21 g (7%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||25 g (41%)|