Print This Recipe
Southwestern Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Roasted Potatoes
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
4 each Scallions
1 each dried chipotle chili pepper, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 cup Inspirations mesquite marinade
3 lb (boneless weight about 3 lbs.) Boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat butterflied
1 1/2 lb yukon gold potatos, or other yellow-fleshed potatoes
1 tablespoon Inspirations garlic dipping oil
1/2 teaspoon Inspirations fleur de sel sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
1. Thinly slice the white and pale green part of the scallions and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Mince the scallion greens and set aside.
2. Add chipotle, lime juice, and marinade to the bag. Squeeze and press bag to combine the ingredients. Add lamb to the bag, seal, and squeeze and press bag to coat the lamb all over. (If the leg of lamb is too large to fit in the bag, combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl and rub marinade all over the meat. Place in a roasting pan and cover.) Refrigerate the lamb for at least 4 hours and as long as 24 hours.
3. About 1 hour before you plan to serve dinner, remove lamb from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
4. Wash and dry potatoes and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Spread potatoes on the baking sheet and toss them with the garlic oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly with seasonings.
5. Roast potatoes for 20 minutes, stir, and continue roasting another 15 minutes, until tender and golden brown. Set potatoes aside and turn oven to broil.
6. Lay the lamb flat in a roasting pan. Place pan under preheated broiler about 6 to 8 inches from the heating element (it shouldn't be closer, as the marinade may start to burn). Broil lamb for 10 minutes, turn over, and continue to broil until it reaches desired doneness ? about 10 to 14 more minutes for medium-rare, depending on the thickness of the meat. Remove lamb from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
7. Turn off broiler. While the lamb rests, return potatoes to oven (still hot but turned off) to reheat. After 5 minutes, carve the lamb in thin slices. Transfer to a serving platter and surround with potatoes. Sprinkle with reserved scallion greens and serve.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||440 kcal (22%)|
|Calories from Fat||144 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||16 g (24%)|
|Saturated Fat||6 g (30%)|
|Cholesterol||145 mg (48%)|
|Sodium||720 mg (30%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||23 g (7%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||49 g (81%)|