Print This Recipe
Corned Beef and Cabbage Boiled dinner
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
2 each leeks
2 each large carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 3-inch pieces
6 each Medium red new potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
8 each whole black peppercorns
2 each Garlic clove, fresh
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1 each bay leaf
1 each Small cabbage, cored and cut into 8 wedges
1 3/4 lb corned beef
1/4 cup Finely chopped flat parsley leaf (optional)
1/3 cup malt or cider vinegar (optional)
1. Trim the tops of leeks to the lightest green part. Trim ends, keeping bulb intact. Look for any visible signs of dirt or grit, and wash if necessary. Add to a large soup pot.
2. Add carrots, potatoes, peppercorns, garlic, mustard, bay leaf, and cabbage. Add enough water to cover the vegetables
3. Bring the water to a simmer over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 40 minutes.
4. Add corned beef to the pot; cut in half if necessary to fit. Cover and cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are tender.
5. Transfer corned beef to a plate. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer cabbage and carrots onto a serving platter.
6. Cut potatoes in half. Cut leeks into 1-inch pieces. Cut corned
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||340 kcal (17%)|
|Calories from Fat||36 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||4 g (6%)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g (12%)|
|Cholesterol||70 mg (23%)|
|Sodium||1020 mg (42%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||47 g (15%)|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g (36%)|
|Protein||31 g (51%)|