Print This Recipe
Corned Beef and Cabbage Boiled dinner
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
2 each leeks
2 each large carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 3-inch pieces
6 each Medium red new potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
8 each whole black peppercorns
2 each Garlic clove, fresh
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1 each bay leaf
1 each Small cabbage, cored and cut into 8 wedges
1 3/4 lb Piece deli corned beef (not sliced)
1/4 cup Finely chopped flat parsley leaf (optional)
1/3 cup malt or cider vinegar (optional)
1. Trim the tops of leeks to the lightest green part. Trim ends, keep- ing bulb intact. Look for any visible signs of dirt or grit, and wash if necessary. Add to a large soup pot.
2. Add carrots, potatoes, peppercorns, garlic, mustard, bay leaf, and cabbage. Add enough water to cover the vegetables
3. Bring the water to a simmer over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 40 minutes.
4. Add corned beef to the pot; cut in half if necessary to fit. Cover and cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are tender.
5. Transfer corned beef to a plate. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer cabbage and carrots onto a serving platter.
6. Cut potatoes in half. Cut leeks into 1-inch pieces. Cut corned
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||340 kcal (17%)|
|Calories from Fat||36 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||4 g (6%)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g (12%)|
|Cholesterol||70 mg (23%)|
|Sodium||1020 mg (42%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||47 g (15%)|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g (36%)|
|Protein||31 g (51%)|