Print This Recipe
Southwestern Carrot Muffins
Servings: Serves 12
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
1/2 cup agave syrup
2 each eggs
1 each lime (both zest and juice)
1 lb carrots, grated (about 3 cups)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
1/2 teaspoon Ginger, ground
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne, ground
6 tablespoon Pine nuts, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with vegetable cooking spray, or line with paper muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium-high speed to mix the oil, agave syrup, and eggs until well incorporated. Grate the zest from the lime and add, then cut lime in half, squeeze the juice (there should be 2 to 3 Tbsp.), and add. Mix well. Add the carrots and mix to combine thoroughly.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne. Add to the carrot mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in 1/4 cup of the pine nuts. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle about 1/2 tsp. of the remaining pine nuts on the surface of each muffin.
4. Bake until a tester comes out clean and the tops are slightly domed, 20 to 25 minutes. After 5 minutes, transfer muffins to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||250 kcal (12%)|
|Calories from Fat||117 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||13 g (20%)|
|Saturated Fat||1 g (5%)|
|Cholesterol||30 mg (10%)|
|Sodium||290 mg (12%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||30 g (10%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||5 g (8%)|