Print This Recipe
Bombay-Spiced Layered Potato Casserole
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
2 1/2 lb maine potatoes, peeled and cut into even cubes
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 each onion, diced
5 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoon finely Grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoon minced jalapeno, or more to taste
1 1/4 lb ground turkey
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
1 cup frozen petite pea
2 teaspoon ground coriander
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoon Butter, unsalted, divided
1/4 cup Fresh parsley, finely minced
3 tablespoon grated asiago fresco
1 dash paprika or cayenne
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until fork tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a nonstick skillet until shimmering. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add ginger and jalape?o and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add ground turkey, 1 tsp. of the salt, cumin, and 11/2 tsp. of the pepper, or to taste. Cook, breaking up meat, for about 5 minutes. Add peas and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in coriander and remove from heat.
4. Drain potatoes and mash with buttermilk and 2 Tbsp. of the butter. Add remaining 1/2 tsp. pepper and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Adjust seasoning to taste.
5. Spread half the mashed potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Using a slotted spoon to remove juices, top potatoes with turkey mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Add remaining potatoes, and smooth surface with a spatula.
6. Sprinkle top with cheese, dot with remaining 1 Tbsp. butter, cubed, and sprinkle with pinches of paprika (or, for more heat and a more Indian approach, cayenne). Bake until top is golden and cheese is melted, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot with green salad and fresh bread.
By Viren Sapat
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||450 kcal (22%)|
|Calories from Fat||198 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||22 g (33%)|
|Saturated Fat||8 g (40%)|
|Cholesterol||95 mg (31%)|
|Sodium||830 mg (34%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||41 g (13%)|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g (20%)|