Print This Recipe
New York Fried Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon Balls
Servings: Serves 20
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Prep Time: 120 minutes
1 lb (1 pkg.) elbow macaroni
1/4 lb (about 4 slices) bacon
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
3/4 lb cheese curds
4 cup vegetable oil
2 each egg, plus additional if needed
1 tablespoon water, plus additional if needed
2 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
32 oz (1 jar) marinara sauce
1. Cook macaroni according to the package instructions. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. While the macaroni cooks, fry the bacon until crispy in a large pan over medium heat, about 8 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels, keeping approximately 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings in pan. Add butter and whisk in flour. Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Add salt, pepper, and cheese curds to boiling milk mixture. Lower heat slightly and continue to stir until cheese has melted. Crumble bacon and add with cooked macaroni, stir, and transfer to prepared pan. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
3. Shape chilled macaroni and cheese into 11/2- to 2-inch balls. Place balls in an airtight container lined with wax paper between layers so they don't stick together. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.
4. Heat oil in a heavy large pan or deep fryer to 325 degrees F to 350 degrees F. In a shallow bowl, beat 2 of the eggs with 1 Tbsp. water for an egg wash (use additional eggs and water if needed). In another shallow bowl, place bread crumbs. Dip the frozen balls into the egg wash and then the bread crumbs. Fry the balls until they are golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes. Serve with warmed marinara sauce in a small bowl on the side.
By Tara Sherman
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||360 kcal (18%)|
|Calories from Fat||198 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||22 g (33%)|
|Cholesterol||40 mg (13%)|
|Sodium||920 mg (38%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||32 g (10%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||14 g (23%)|