Print This Recipe
Harvest Tomato-Corn Soup
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 each small sweet onion, diced
1/4 cup Diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups tomato juice
2 large tomatoes
2 cups fresh corn off the cob (about 3 medium ears), or frozen
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon tabasco sauce, or to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped basil (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes, then add green pepper and celery and saute for 4 to 6 minutes, until all the vegetables have softened slightly. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 to 2 more minutes.
2. Add broth and tomato juice and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Peel tomatoes: cut an X in the base of each tomato and drop in boiling water for 30 seconds, then drop tomatoes in ice water. The skin will then slide off easily.
4. Chop tomatoes and add to the soup. Add corn and heat just until boiling, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper, Tabasco, and tarragon.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of basil,if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, July - August 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||120 kcal (6%)|
|Calories from Fat||27 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||3 g (4%)|
|Saturated Fat||0 g (0%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||380 mg (15%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||20 g (6%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||3 g (5%)|
|Vitamin A||3415 IU (68%)|
|Vitamin C||61 mg (101%)|
|Calcium||78 mg (1%)|
|Iron||15 mg (25%)|