Print This Recipe
Servings: Serves 4
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
1 cup cornmeal (fine or medium grind)
1 1/2 cups hot water, or more as needed
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
8 oz ground beef, pork or lamb
1 pinch Black pepper, freshly ground
1 each Onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
8 each roma tomatoes (plum), chopped (canned are fine; drain juices)
3 cups corn kernels (frozen are fine)
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/4 cup Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine cornmeal, hot water, and a large pinch of salt; stir with a fork until smooth. Let mixture sit while you prepare the filling.
2. Put oil in a deep, ovenproof skillet (cast iron is ideal) over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add the meat, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Lower heat a bit, add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes more. Add more oil if the mixture starts to look too dry. Stir in chili powder, tomatoes, and corn and turn off the heat.
3. Stir baking powder into cornmeal mixture until it's completely incorporated. The mixture should be the consistency of thick pancake batter; if not, add a little more water.
4. Spoon batter into the skillet on top of the filling and spread it around a bit.Bake until cornbread has cracked and turned golden and is cooked all the way through (a toothpick inserted into the cornbread should come out clean), 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot or at room temperature.
Courtesy of Taste for Life
Recipe from The Food Matters Cookbook by Mark Bittman
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||505 kcal (25%)|
|Calories from Fat||243 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||27 g (41%)|
|Saturated Fat||14 g (70%)|
|Cholesterol||41 mg (13%)|
|Sodium||365 mg (15%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||71 g (23%)|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g (48%)|
|Protein||25 g (41%)|
|Vitamin A||4152 IU (83%)|
|Vitamin C||51 mg (85%)|
|Calcium||56 mg (1%)|
|Iron||13 mg (21%)|