Print This Recipe
Citrus Roasted Leg of Lamb
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 80 minutes
Prep Time: 35 minutes
2 each lemons
2 each Oranges
4 each Garlic cloves
4 teaspoon Fresh thyme leaves, or 1 1/2 tsp. dried
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 each (6 lb.) bone- in (or deboned and tied) leg of lamb
2 lbs small red-skinned new potatoes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the lemons and oranges. Add the zest to a food processor or blender. Refrigerate the dezested fruit until lamb is ready for roasting.
2. Add garlic, thyme, and oil to the zest. Pulse to form a thick paste. Pat lamb dry and rub the paste all over the lamb. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 12 hours.
3. Remove lamb from the fridge. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a roasting pan with vegetable cooking spray. Cut reserved dezested oranges and lemons into 1/2-inch thick slices and place in the roasting pan along with the potatoes. Sprinkle the lamb with salt and pepper. Place lamb on top of the potatoes and fruit and roast 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Lower oven temperatureto 350 degrees and continue roasting for 1 hour, 30 minutes. Using a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature of the meat; remove meat at 145 degrees for medium doneness. Depending on whether the leg is bone-in or boneless, this could take an additional 20 to 30 minutes. Check every 10minutes. Let lamb rest 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.
4. To serve, slice lamb and place on the center of a platter. Surround with potatoes and sliced citrus and drizzle with the pan juices.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||810 kcal (40%)|
|Calories from Fat||441 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||49 g (75%)|
|Saturated Fat||22 g (110%)|
|Cholesterol||225 mg (75%)|
|Sodium||380 mg (15%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||26 g (8%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||67 g (111%)|