Print This Recipe
Sesame Lamb Meatballs
Servings: Makes 12 meatballs (6 appetizer servings)
Cook Time: 21 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
4 teaspoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons Olive oil, divided
1 each small onion, finely chopped
2 each Cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup hummus, prepared
2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Water, plus additional if needed
1 lb ground lamb
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 each egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1 handful parsley sprigs (Optional garnish)
1 handful Lemon wedges (Optional garnish)
1. Toast the sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until they begin to turn light brown and smell toasty, 3 to 5 minutes. Watch carefully, as seeds can go from perfectly toasted to burnt very quickly. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
2. In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic until softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool.
3. Preheat broiler to high. Cover a broiling tray with foil and spray with vegetable cooking spray.
4. While onion cools, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, combine tahini, hummus, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons water and mix until thoroughlycombined. Mixture should be a thin sauce. If needed, add more water. Set aside.
5. Add lamb to the cooled onion mixture along with panko, parsley, cumin, coriander, egg, salt, pepper, 2 teaspoons of the reserved sesameseeds, and remaining 4 teaspoons oil and mix well. Form into 12 balls and place on the broiling pan. Broil until surface is dark brown, 5 minutesfor medium rare, 6 minutes for medium; turn meatballs and broil for 5 to 6 minutes.
6. To serve, place meatballs on a serving platter, sprinkle with remaining 2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds, and garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon wedges, if desired. Serve with sauce on the side for dipping.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes 12 meatballs (6 appetizer servings)|
|Calories||400 kcal (20%)|
|Calories from Fat||243 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||27 g (41%)|
|Saturated Fat||8 g (40%)|
|Cholesterol||105 mg (35%)|
|Sodium||220 mg (9%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||14 g (4%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||24 g (40%)|