Print This Recipe
Cranberry Gingerbread Buckle
Servings: Serves 12
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) Unsalted butter, softened (Crumb topping)
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed (Crumb topping)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Crumb topping)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (Crumb topping)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (Crumb topping)
2 cups all-purpose flour (Cake)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (Cake)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda (Cake)
1/4 teaspoon salt (Cake)
1 teaspoon ground ginger (Cake)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Cake)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (Cake)
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee (Cake)
2/3 cup milk (Cake)
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) Unsalted butter, at room tempature (Cake)
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed (Cake)
2 each eggs (Cake)
2 tablespoons molasses (Cake)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Cake)
1 1/2 cups whole fresh or frozen cranberries (Cake)
1 container whipped cream (Optional garnish)
1. Prepare the crumb topping. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on mediumspeed to beat butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger until blended, about1 minute. On low speed, stir in flour until just mixed in and crumbs begin toform, about 15 seconds. Don't overmix ? mixture should be crumbly, not smooth.Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square pan with vegetable cooking spray.
3. Prepare the cake. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves together. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, mix coffee with a small amount of milk to dissolve, then stir in remaining milk. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to beat butter and brown sugar until smooth, 1 minute. Mix in eggs, molasses, and vanilla until blended, about 2 minutes. The mixture may look curdled. On low speed add half the flour mixture, mixing to incorporate. Stir the reserved coffee-milk to make sure the coffee is dissolved, and add to the batter, mixing justuntil blended. Add the remaining flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated and the batter is smooth. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan. Spoon cranberries over the batter. Sprinkle reserved crumb topping over the cranberries.
6. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of thebuckle comes out clean. The top may still look wet, so be sure to use the toothpick test. Cool in the pan on a wire rack, about 1 hour. Cut into squares and serve slightly warm or at room temperature, topped with whipped cream, if desired.
Source: Hannaford Fresh Magazine, September - October 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||300 kcal (15%)|
|Calories from Fat||117 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||13 g (20%)|
|Saturated Fat||8 g (40%)|
|Cholesterol||60 mg (20%)|
|Sodium||220 mg (9%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||41 g (13%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||5 g (8%)|