Print This Recipe
Fiery Vegetarian Gumbo
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 each yellow onion, diced
2 each bell peppers (any color), diced
2 each celery ribs, diced
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (12 oz) each bottle dark lager beer
4 cups low- sodium vegetable broth
1 14.5 oz can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 each ( 7 oz.) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 (14 oz.) pkg instant brown rice, uncooked
1 bunch swiss chard
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, peppers, and celery. Saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and flour and stir to combine.
2. Add beer and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits from the bottom.Add vegetable broth and stir to combine.
3. Add diced tomatoes and chipotle peppers, with sauce. Stir to combine. Bringto a boil and add rice. Cover and reduce heat to medium low to maintain a lowsimmer.
4. Remove the stems from the chard, dice stems, and add to the pot. Chop leaves and add 5 minutes later. Simmer for 10 more minutes, until chard is tender and rice is cooked through. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||300 kcal (15%)|
|Calories from Fat||45 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||5 g (7%)|
|Saturated Fat||1 g (5%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||330 mg (13%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||51 g (17%)|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g (20%)|
|Protein||6 g (10%)|