Print This Recipe
Tofu and Shiitake Steamed Dumplings
Servings: Serves 8 5 dumplings per serving
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
1(14 oz.) pkg firm tofu (dumpling)
1 each egg white ( dumpling)
1 tablespoon Minced fresh ginger (dumpling)
2 each Cloves garlic, minced (dumpling)
2 each Scallions, finely sliced (dumpling)
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (dumpling)
1 teaspoon sesame oil (dumpling)
2 teaspoon cornstarch (dumpling)
1/2 teaspoon chinese 5 spice powder (dumpling)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (dumpling)
1 1/2 cups finely diced shiitake mushroom (dumpling)
40 each wonton wrappers (dumpling)
4 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (dipping sauce)
1 1/2 tablespoons honey ( dipping sauce)
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce ( dipping sauce)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes (dipping sauce)
1 tablespoon Sesame seeds (dipping sauce)
1. Prepare the dumplings. Place a paper towel on a plate and top with tofu block. Top tofu with another paper towel and place a heavy object on top of the paper towel for 10 minutes to press out water from the tofu.
2. In a large bowl, lightly whisk egg white. Stir in ginger, garlic, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, five spice powder, and cilantro. Finely dice tofu and add to bowl along with shiitake mushrooms. Mix until all the tofu and mushrooms are covered in sauce.
3. Working with about 6 wonton wrappers at a time, use your fingertips to wet edges of each wrapper. Place 1 teaspoon tofu filling in the center of each wrapper. Gather wrappers up around filling and press the top sides together. The dumpling does not need to be fully enclosed at the top. Continue to fill wrappers until tofu filling is used up.
4. In a large pot, heat 1 to 1 1/2 cups water to just boiling over medium heat; water should not touch bottom of steamer. Line your steamer of choice with lettuce leaves or parchment paper and place in pot. Arrange dumplings in a single layer without touching each other, cover pot, and steam, working in batches if necessary, for 7 minutes.
5. While dumplings steam, prepare the dipping sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, soy sauce, chili flakes, and sesame seeds. Serve dumplings warm or at room temperature with dipping sauce on the side.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2011 - By Mathew Kadey, RS, RD
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Serves 8 5 dumplings per serving|
|Calories||230 kcal (11%)|
|Calories from Fat||45 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||5 g (7%)|
|Saturated Fat||1 g (5%)|
|Cholesterol||5 mg (1%)|
|Sodium||390 mg (16%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||35 g (11%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||12 g (20%)|