Print This Recipe
Apple Crumb Pie
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (Crust)
1 tablespoon Brown sugar, packed (Crust)
1/4 teaspoon salt (Crust)
1 each egg yolk (Crust)
1/4 cup canola oil (Crust)
1/4 cup nonfat milk (Crust)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional) (Crust)
5 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (Filling)
2 tablespoons cornstarch (Filling)
1/3 cup Taste of Inspirations Honey Apple butter (Filling)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Filling)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (Filling)
1 teaspoon Fresh lemon juice (Filling)
2 tablespoons frozen concentrated unsweetened apple juice, thawed (Filling)
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (Topping)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Topping)
1 tablespoon canola oil (Topping)
1 tablespoon frozen concentrated unsweetened apple juice, thawed (Topping)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (Topping)
3 tablespoons Brown sugar, packed (Topping)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie pan with vegetablecooking spray.
2. Prepare the crust. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. In a small bowl, mix egg yolk, canola oil, milk, and vanilla extract if using. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture, and mix until all ingredients are combined, and form a ball. Place dough between two large sheets of waxed paper. Roll out into a large circle approximately 10 inches in diameter. Peel off the top piece of paper and invert the dough over the prepared pie pan. Peel off remaining paper and press dough into the pan. Crimp edges and refrigeratewhile preparing filling and topping.
3. Prepare the filling. In a large bowl, combine apples with cornstarch,apple butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and apple juice concentrate. Stir to distribute evenly. Set aside.
4. Prepare the topping. In a small bowl, stir together oats, cinnamon,and oil. Stir in juice concentrate, then stir in flour and brown sugar.Mix until all ingredients are moistened but still crumbly. Set aside.
5. Bake crust for 10 minutes, until just set and pale gold. Remove from oven and fill crust with apple mixture, gently pressing down on the apples to fill dish.(Remember that the pan is still hot.) Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and crumble topping over the apples. Cover edges of the crust with foil if they are beginning to brown. Return to oven and cook until filling is slightly bubbly around the edges and apples are tender when a toothpick is inserted, about 20 to 25 more minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature before serving.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||290 kcal (14%)|
|Calories from Fat||90 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||10 g (15%)|
|Saturated Fat||1 g (5%)|
|Cholesterol||25 mg (8%)|
|Sodium||80 mg (3%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||47 g (15%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||4 g (6%)|