Print This Recipe
Kibbeh Bil Sanieh (Baked Kibbeh)
Servings: Makes 20 squares (10 servings)
Cook Time: 68 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
3/4 cup bulgur
2 1/2 cups boiling Water
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 lbs 90 % lean ground beef, divided
1 teaspoon ground Coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste, divided
1 teaspoon ground allspice
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) Unsalted butter, melted
4 scoops plain nonfat regular or greek yogurt (optional)
1. Place bulgur in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over bulgur and let sit 30 minutes until fully cooked. Drain any excess water using a fine-mesh sieve. There should be 2 cups cooked bulgur.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add half the sauteed onion, 1 lb. of the beef, coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt to the bulgur. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 lb. beef, remaining onion, allspice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and mix well.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Press half the bulgur mixture evenly into the pan. Press the beef mixture evenly over the bulgur layer. Spoon the remaining bulgurmixture over the beef filling and spread to cover, smoothing the top. Using a sharp knife, cut into 20 squares. With the handle end of a wooden spoon, poke a hole in the center of each square, going about halfway through (not all the way through to the bottom). Pour the melted butter all over the top.
5. Bake kibbeh until cooked through and golden on top, about 45 to 55 minutes. For a brown and crispy crust, broil for 5 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then go over the cut lines with a knife. Transfer squares to a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature, with yogurt on the side if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes 20 squares (10 servings)|
|Calories||280 kcal (14%)|
|Calories from Fat||153 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||17 g (26%)|
|Saturated Fat||8 g (40%)|
|Cholesterol||75 mg (25%)|
|Sodium||160 mg (6%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||10 g (3%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||20 g (33%)|