Print This Recipe
Butternut Chicken Pita Pizzas
Servings: Serves 4
Cook Time: 81 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
2 each red bell peppers
1 each (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb.) butternut squash
1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Olive oil, divided
3/4 lb lean ground chicken breast
1 each small yellow onion, minced
2 each Garlic clove, minced
1 (12 oz. 4-pack) pkg whole wheat pita bread
1 1/2 cups Nature's Place Baby arugula
2 ozs Goat cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Cut peppers in half and place on the pan cut-side down. Broil until skin begins to blister and blacken, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover bowl with a plate. Turn off broiler and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place flesh-sidedown on the same baking sheet used for the peppers. Bake until flesh is very tender, about 45 to 50 minutes. Turn squash over and let rest cut-side-up until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Scoop flesh into a food processor. Add sage and black pepper and puree until smooth.
4. While squash cooks, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, and garlic and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
5. Peel and discard the blackened skin from the peppers. Cut peppers into long strips and set aside.
6. Remove foil from the baking sheet used to cook the squash. Brush pitas with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, place on baking sheet, and cook until crisp and lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
7. Remove pitas from oven and turn on the broiler. Spread butternut puree over the entire surface of each pita. Top each with an equal amount of arugula, peppers, chicken mixture, and goat cheese. Broil for 1 minute, or until cheese has softened. Be careful not to burn the pitas. Slice each pita pizza into 4 quarters and serve.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||530 kcal (26%)|
|Calories from Fat||144 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||16 g (24%)|
|Saturated Fat||5 g (22%)|
|Cholesterol||65 mg (21%)|
|Sodium||780 mg (32%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||70 g (23%)|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g (44%)|
|Protein||32 g (53%)|