Print This Recipe
Rainbow Vegetable Stew with Bulgur "Meatballs"
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 83 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 each yellow onion, diced
2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
2 each ribs celery, sliced
1 each parsnip, sliced thinly
1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 bunch collard greens, thick stems removed, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups quartered broccoli florets
3/4 cup bulgur
1 15 oz Can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 each shallot, minced
2 each Egg whites, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons ground Coriander seeds
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, celery, and parsnip; cook 4 minutes. Add wine and simmer 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, collards, 2 cups of the broth, cumin, thyme, and salt to the pan. Raise heat to medium high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in broccoli, return to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
3. While vegetables cook, in a medium saucepan bring remaining 1 and 1/2 cups broth to a boil. Remove pan from heat, stir in bulgur, cover, and let soak until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, gently mash kidney beans. Stir in bulgur, oats, shallot, egg whites, coriander, and parsley. (If mixture is too hot to handle comfortably, refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes.)
5. Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with vegetable cooking spray. With wet hands form the bulgur mixture into 18 balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Broil for 8 minutes, or until darkened and crispy.
6. To serve, divide stew among 6 bowls and top each with 3 bulgur "meatballs."
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||320 kcal (16%)|
|Calories from Fat||32 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||4 g (5%)|
|Saturated Fat||0 g (0%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||570 mg (23%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||59 g (19%)|
|Dietary Fiber||15 g (60%)|
|Protein||13 g (21%)|