Print This Recipe
Pepper Jack Kale Quesadillas
Servings: Serves 4
Cook Time: 19 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1/2 bunch kale, rinsed (about 1/2 pound or 4 cups)
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup canned green chilies, chopped (found in the International aisle)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
8 (8- to 9-inch) each flour whole-wheat tortilla
1 16 oz can fat-free refried beans
3 sprays olive oil cooking spray
Optional Toppings:jalapeno chilies, sliced into thin rings, seeds removed, guacamole, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, salsa
1. Fill a large saucepan with 4 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. While water heats, slice kale leaves off the stems. Discard stems and chop the leaves into bite-size pieces. When water comes to a boil, add kale and boil for 6 to 7 minutes, until kale is cooked through. Drain in a strainer, shaking several times to help cool. When cool, squeeze out any excess water.
2. While kale cooks, preheat oven to 250 degrees. Have ready a large baking sheet. In a medium bowl, combine the cheese, green chilies, cumin, and chili powder.
3. Place 4 tortillas on a work surface and spread each with refried beans, leaving about a 1/2-inch space around the edge; use the whole can.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Place one of the tortillas spread with beans in the skillet. Spread about 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over the center, and top with a quarter of the kale. Place a second tortilla on top and press down slightly. When bottom tortilla is lightly browned, about 2 minutes, spray top tortilla with cooking spray and turn. Quesadilla is done when cheese is melted, about another 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining tortillas to make 4 quesadillas. Transfer each to the baking sheet to keep warm in the oven while making the remaining quesadillas.
5. To serve, cut each quesadilla into 6 wedges (a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors works well). Serve warm, with your choice of toppings in small bowls on the side.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2011
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||520 kcal (26%)|
|Calories from Fat||144 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||16 g (24%)|
|Saturated Fat||5 g (25%)|
|Cholesterol||30 mg (10%)|
|Sodium||1120 mg (46%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||68 g (22%)|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g (44%)|
|Protein||23 g (38%)|