Print This Recipe
Brandied Apple Cake
Servings: Serves 12
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 each Granny Smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced (Cake)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Cake)
1/2 cup Sugar, divided (Cake)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (Cake)
2 tablespoons wheat germ (Cake)
2 teaspoons baking soda (Cake)
3/4 teaspoon Ginger, ground (Cake)
1/4 teaspoon Cloves, ground (Cake)
2 each eggs (Cake)
1 ( 6 oz,) container Nature's Place Organic non- fat french vanilla yogurt (Cake)
1/2 cup Inspirations honey Apple butter (Cake)
1/4 cup canola oil (Cake)
1 tablespoon brandy (Cake)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Cake)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste (Cake)
3 scoops Nature's Place vanilla bean ice cream (optional) (Cake)
3/4 cup Inspirations Honey Apple butter (Sauce)
1/4 cup brandy (Sauce)
2 tablespoons Salted butter (Sauce)
1. Prepare the cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray, using a paper towel to make sure the pan is thoroughly coated; then flour the pan.
2. In a medium bowl, toss apple slices with cinnamon. Measure sugar into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Remove 1 tablespoon sugar and add to the apples. Stir to mix and set aside.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, baking soda, ginger, and cloves.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together remaining sugar, eggs, yogurt, apple butter, oil, brandy, vanilla, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined, being careful not to overmix. Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread it into an even layer. Place a single layer of apple slices on top in a decorative pattern.
5. Bake until a cake tester in the center comes out clean, about 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
6. Make the brandy sauce. Combine apple butter, brandy, and butter in a smallsaucepan. Bring to a simmer over mediumhigh heat. Whisk until smooth and evenlyblended.
7. Serve cake warm or at room temperature. Top each slice with ice cream, if desired, and a drizzle of warm brandy sauce.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2012
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||200 kcal (10%)|
|Calories from Fat||72 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||8 g (12%)|
|Saturated Fat||2 g (10%)|
|Cholesterol||35 mg (11%)|
|Sodium||300 mg (12%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||26 g (8%)|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g (4%)|
|Protein||4 g (6%)|