Print This Recipe
Chocolate Cloud Layer Cake
Servings: Serves 12
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
1 cup sugar (cake)
1/4 cup Brown sugar, packed (cake)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (cake)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (cake)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (cake)
1/2 teaspoon salt (cake)
1 teaspoon Instant coffee granules (cake)
2 cups all-purpose flour (cake)
1 each egg, at room temperature (cake)
2 each Egg whites, at room temperature (cake)
1/2 cup light mayonnaise (cake)
1 cup low-fat chocolate soy milk (cake)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (cake)
3/4 cup water (cake)
1 cup Marshmallow Fluff or marshmallow creme (frosting)
4 oz Neufchatel 1/3- reduced-fat cream cheese (frosting)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (frosting)
1/2 cup Confectioners` sugar (frosting)
1/2 teaspoon Instant coffee granules (frosting)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (frosting)
1. Prepare the cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9-inch roundcake pans with vegetable cooking spray. Cut two circles of parchment or waxed paper to fit each pan. Place in pan and spray paper lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder,baking soda, salt, instant coffee, and flour. Use a fork or whisk toblend.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg whites, and mayo until smooth. Whisk in soy milk, vanilla, and water until combined.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk batter until all ingredients are combined and batter is smooth.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly. Lightly tap pans to release any air bubbles. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then invert on wire racks and cool completely, about 1 hour.
6. When cakes have cooled, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on low speed to beat Marshmallow Fluff and cream cheese until smooth. Add cocoa, confectioners' sugar, instant coffee, and vanilla and beat on low speed until frosting is light and fluffy.
7. Place one cake layer on a plate, flat side down. Spread with approximatelyhalf the frosting. Place second layer on top of the first, flat side down. Spread remaining frosting on top of the cake. Serve at room temperature. May be stored, refrigerated, overnight, but allow cake to reach room temperature before serving.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2012
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||270 kcal (13%)|
|Calories from Fat||63 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||7 g (10%)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g (12%)|
|Cholesterol||25 mg (8%)|
|Sodium||450 mg (18%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||50 g (16%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||7 g (11%)|