Print This Recipe
Red Currant-Glazed Leg of Lamb
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 100 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
1 each(6 lb.) bone-in leg of lamb, raw (lamb)
2 tablespoons olive oil (lamb)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste (lamb)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (lamb)
1 cup red currant jelly (glaze)
2 tablespoons finely chopped Fresh rosemary leaves or 2 tsp. dried (glaze)
2 tablespoons Water (glaze)
2 teaspoons Fresh lemon juice (glaze)
1 1/4 teaspoons dry mustard (glaze)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (glaze)
1. Prepare the lamb. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a roasting pan with vegetable cooking spray. Trim any excess fat from the lamb and set leg into the pan fat side up, bone side down. In a small bowl, mix oil, salt, and pepper. Rub this mixture all over lamb.
2. Roast lamb for 25 minutes at 425 degrees, then lower temperature to 350 degrees. Continue roasting for 60 to 75 minutes.
3. When the lamb has roasted for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees, prepare the glaze. Combine all glaze ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Whisk until smooth and all the jelly has melted, about 4 minutes. Remove lamb from the oven and generously brush the leg with the glaze, then return to the oven.
4. After 15 minutes, use a meat or instantread thermometer to check the lamb.Insert it at the thickest point of the meat, not touching the bone. Take the lamb out of the oven when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees (for medium doneness). Depending on the size of the leg, it may take some additional time. Check the temperature every 10 minutes to avoid overcooking.
5. When the lamb is ready, remove it from the oven and brush it again with the glaze. Tent with foil and let it rest 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
6. To serve, slice lamb and place on a platter, or carve tableside. Reheat the remaining glaze just before serving and transfer to a small bowl to serve on the side.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2012
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||820 kcal (41%)|
|Calories from Fat||441 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||49 g (75%)|
|Saturated Fat||22 g (110%)|
|Cholesterol||225 mg (75%)|
|Sodium||380 mg (15%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||27 g (9%)|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g (0%)|
|Protein||63 g (105%)|