Print This Recipe
Chocolate Apricot Matzo Crunch with Cinnamon Caramel
Servings: Makes About 4 cups of 2-inch pieces (8 servings)
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
4 each (61/2-by-7 inch) boards matzo
1/4 cup Salted butter
1/2 cup Light brown sugar packed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon light cream
1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into quarters
1/2 cup (3 oz.) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or with regular foil greased with a small amount of vegetable oil. Arrange matzo on top of foil, breaking into large pieces as needed to fit. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Stir tocombine. Whisk until mixture is smooth and boiling and butter is fully incorporated into the sugar, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cinnamon and cream and whisk together until mixture is thick and creamy (caramel will bubble up when cream is added). Immediately remove from heat. Drizzle over matzo and smooth with a spoon to cover the matzo pieces.
3. Bake for 10 minutes until bubbly. Remove from oven and immediately scatterapricots over the surface.
4. Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl on medium high for 1 minute. Stir to mix. If not melted, heat another 30 to 60 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth. Use a spoon to drizzle chocolate back and forth over the surface of the matzo to make a pattern, using all the chocolate. Alternately, spoon melted chocolate into a resealable plastic bag. Snip a tiny opening (1/16 inch)on one corner. Use this as a pastry bag to pipe a zigzag pattern of chocolate over the apricots and caramel-covered matzo. Cool on a rack at room temperature until chocolate is set, about 2 to 3 hours, depending on the temperature. When chocolate is set, break matzo into 2-inch pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2012
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes About 4 cups of 2-inch pieces (8 servings)|
|Calories||220 kcal (11%)|
|Calories from Fat||90 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||10 g (15%)|
|Saturated Fat||6 g (30%)|
|Cholesterol||15 mg (5%)|
|Sodium||55 mg (2%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||34 g (11%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g (8%)|
|Protein||2 g (3%)|