Print This Recipe
Grilled Pork and Sweet Potatoes with Cucumber-Onion Salad
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
1/2 each yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 medium jalapeno, seeds removed and roughly chopped
1 each garlic clove, roughly chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 cups roughly chopped parsley ( about 1 bunch)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
6 each (4 to 5 oz.) center-cut boneless pork loin chops
2 each English Cucumbers, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and thinly sliced in half-moon shapes
1 each sweet onion, quartered, quarters thinly sliced widthwise
2 lbs sweet potatoes
4 to 6 sprays olive oil cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, parsley, salt, and olive oil in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Measure puree - there should be about 1 cup. Place half in a small bowl and cover and refrigerate.Return remaining half to the processor and add rum, if using, pulsing until combined.
2. Pat pork chops dry, then place in a shallow bowl. Pour puree from processorover the chops and spread to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
3. A half hour before you're ready to cook the chops, remove them from the fridge. Also remove the reserved puree from the fridge. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
4. Prepare salad. Add cucumbers and sweet onion to a medium bowl and toss withreserved puree to coat well. Cover and refrigerate.
5. Prepare the sweet potatoes. Peel and cut widthwise into 1/2-inch-thick circles. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet, spray with olive oil cooking spray, and sprinkle with half the pepper. Turn over and spray second side and sprinkle with remaining pepper.
6. Oil the grill and lay potato slices on the surface. Close grill and cook without turning for 4 to 6 minutes. Check one slice, and if browned, turn the remaining slices. Cook on the other side until tender, about 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
7. When potatoes have cooked on one side, lay chops on the grill and cook 4 minutes without moving. Turn and cook another 4 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Remove from the grill and let pork rest 3 minutes before serving.
8. Divide chops, sweet potatoes, and cucumber-onion salad among 6 plates,and serve.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, July -,- August 2012
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||280 kcal (14%)|
|Calories from Fat||41 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||5 g (6%)|
|Saturated Fat||1 g (5%)|
|Cholesterol||60 mg (20%)|
|Sodium||300 mg (12%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||37 g (12%)|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g (24%)|
|Protein||23 g (38%)|