Print This Recipe
Chocolate Shortcakes with Raspberry Sauce
Servings: Serves 15
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
6 cups raspberries (sauce)
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste (sauce)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (sauce)
2 cups all-purpose flour (shortcakes)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (shortcakes)
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed (shortcakes)
4 teaspoons baking powder (shortcakes)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (shortcakes)
1/4 teaspoon salt (shortcakes)
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (shortcakes)
1 teaspoon instant coffee (shortcakes)
2 teaspoons very hot Water (shortcakes)
1 cup Milk (plus additional if needed) (shortcakes)
1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips (optional) (shortcakes)
3 cups chilled whipped cream
1. Make the fruit filling. In a medium bowl, mash 1 cup of the raspberries with a fork. Add the sugar, vanilla, and remaining whole berries. Let sit at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes for the berries to release their juices. May be prepared 1 day in advance and stored, refrigerated.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Prepare the shortcakes. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and the size of small peas.
4. In a small bowl, combine instant coffee and hot water and stir until coffee is dissolved. Add milk and stir to combine. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in milk mixture. Mix with a fork until the dough is moist and starts to form clumps. Using your hands or a rubber spatula, turn the dough over about 6 times until it comes together. If dough is too dry,add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Gently fold in chocolate chips if using.
5. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 9-inch square, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into 3 columns, then cut crosswise into 5 rows to yield 15 rectangles. Using a thin metal spatula, transfer cakes to the prepared baking sheet, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake untilmostly firm to the touch, about 14 to 16 minutes. Be careful not to overcook or the chocolate will burn.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||300 kcal (15%)|
|Calories from Fat||162 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||18 g (27%)|
|Saturated Fat||12 g (57%)|
|Cholesterol||60 mg (20%)|
|Sodium||250 mg (10%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||34 g (11%)|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g (4%)|
|Protein||4 g (6%)|