Print This Recipe
Arugula Pesto Pasta Primavera Salad
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 43 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1/2 lb Fresh green beans, trimmed, and cut into 2-inch pieces (pasta)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided (pasta)
1 medium yellow squash, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick circles (pasta)
1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced (pasta)
1 each red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into thin strips (pasta)
1 cup grape tomatoes (pasta)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (pasta)
1/4 teaspoon salt (pasta)
1 lb whole-wheat pasta (rotini or fusilli) (pasta)
1 handful Parmesan cheese, shaved (optional garnish) (pasta)
3 cups arugula, packed (pesto)
3 each Garlic cloves (pesto)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (pesto)
1 tablespoon Water, or as needed (pesto)
1/3 cup roasted almonds (pesto)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (pesto)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (pesto)
1/4 teaspoon salt (pesto)
1. Prepare the vegetables. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, toss beans with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and roast 10 minutes.
3. In the same bowl, toss squash, onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes with remaining 2 teaspoons oil, black pepper, and salt. After the beans have roasted 10 minutes, add remaining veggies to the pan and stir to mix withthe beans. Roast until veggies are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. While the veggies roast, bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Sprinkle a spoonful of salt over the boiling water, then add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain pasta and add to the bowl used to mix the vegetables.
5. While pasta cooks, prepare the pesto. In a food processor, pulse the arugula and garlic together until finely chopped. Add oil in a steady stream through the feed tube with the motor running, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary. If mixture seems dry, add water 1 teaspoon at a time with machine running.
6. Add almonds, Parmesan, black pepper, and salt, and puree until smooth, about30 seconds.
7. Toss pesto with the warm pasta until evenly coated; then stir in the roasted vegetables. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with shaved Parmesan if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2012
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||380 kcal (19%)|
|Calories from Fat||135 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||15 g (23%)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g (12%)|
|Cholesterol||5 mg (1%)|
|Sodium||290 mg (12%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||50 g (16%)|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g (32%)|
|Protein||13 g (21%)|