Print This Recipe
Basic Butter Cookies
Servings: Makes About 8 dozen bite-size cookies (24 servings
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium-high speed to cream butter for 1 minute. Add brown sugar, then sugar, beating 1 minute after each addition. Add egg and vanilla and beat for 1 more minute.
3. Sprinkle 1 cup of the flour over mixture, then add the baking powder and salt. On low speed, mix just until incorporated. Add remaining 1 cup flour and mix on low speed, again just until incorporated. At this point, dough is ready for any variations. Add extra ingredients or refer to the other recipes and proceed as instructed for each.
4. To make Basic Butter Cookies, drop dough by scant teaspoonfuls onto preparedbaking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Cookies will spread very slightly. Bake just until cookies begin to turn pale brown at the edges, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies will be slightly soft. Let cool on pan for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Repeat until batter is gone.
5. Serve at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for 3 days, or freeze.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2012
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes About 8 dozen bite-size cookies (24 servings)|
|Calories from Fat||n/a|