Print This Recipe
Milkmaids' Ricotta-Berry Crepes
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 egg white
2/3 cup skim milk
3 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh mint leaves
1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries, thawed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
sliced fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)
mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg and egg white, then whisk in milk, water, and oil. Whisk in both flours and salt until smooth. Alternately, combine all these ingredients in a blender and pulse until mixed, about 15 seconds. Refrigerate batter for 1 hour.
2. While batter rests, heat vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until vinegar is slightly syrupy and reduced to 1/2 cup. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, honey, and mint. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. In another bowl, smash berries with a fork or spoon. Stir in vanilla and 2 tsp. of the balsamic syrup.
5. Cook crepes. Coat a medium nonstick skillet with vegetable cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of batter, about 1/4 cup, just enough to coat pan. Immediately tilt and swirl to thinly coat pan with batter.
6. Cook until crepe is set, about 30 to 45 seconds. Use a spatula to turn and cook second side for 10 to 20 seconds until firm. There should be enough batter for 6 crepes. Transfer crepes to a cutting board or wire rack and cool in a single layer. When cool, crepes may be stacked with a layer of waxed paper in between each crepe. May be prepared a day in advance and stored, wrapped in plastic and refrigerated.
7. When ready to serve, assemble crepes. Spread 1/4 cup ricotta mixture down center of each crepe. Top with fruit. Fold one side over mixture. Seal by folding over side. Drizzle each crepe with balsamic syrup. If desired, garnish with fresh sliced strawberries and a mint sprig, then serve.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2013
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories from Fat||n/a|