Print This Recipe
Sweet and Savory Beef Brisket
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 260 minutes
Prep Time: 35 minutes
5 lbs. lean beef brisket
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 leeks, white and light green parts, well rinsed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 cups beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup dried apricots
1 cup pitted prunes
parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pat brisket dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, heat oil over high heat. Sear the meat on all sides (about 7 minutes per side), then transfer to a plate.
2. Lower heat to medium and add carrots, leeks, and garlic to the pan and cook until slightly softened, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Return meat to the pot. Add broth and wine, cover, and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Addapricots and prunes, cover, and return to oven to cook until brisket is very tender(the strands in the meat should spread apart slightly when pressed, withoutactually breaking apart), about 1 to 1 1/2 hours more.
4. Transfer brisket to a platter and let rest,tented with foil, for 30 minutes.
5. While brisket rests, place pot with the juices on the stovetop and heat overmedium-high heat to reduce juices by about half, about 15 to 18 minutes.
6. Cut brisket into thin slices (about 3/8-inch thick) against the grain. Just before serving, place brisket slices in pan with reduced juices and heat for a few minutes to warm through.
7. To serve, transfer meat and sauce to a serving platter. Garnish with parsley sprigs if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2014
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories from Fat||n/a|