Print This Recipe
Galaktoboureko (greek Custard Squares) With Fresh Strawberry Sauce
Servings: Serves 18
Cook Time: 46 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. grated orange zest
1 cup orange juice, divided
5 cups 2% milk
1/2 cup fine- or medium-ground cornmeal
1/2 (16 oz.) pkg. phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 lbs. strawberries
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, 1/3 cup of the sugar, vanilla, orange zest, and 1/2 cup of the orange juice. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over medium-high heat; reduce to medium and whisk in the cornmeal. Cook until mixture has thickened, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk 1/2 cup of the milk mixture into the eggs to warm them, then whisk in another 1/2 cup until smooth. Gradually add the egg mixture to the milk mixture in the pan, whisking constantly. If mixture is thin, heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with vegetable cooking spray.
4. Unroll phyllo. Keep unused portion covered with a damp cloth. Place half the sheets in the pan, one sheet at a time, letting longer edges rest against the side of the pan. Brush top of each sheet lightly with melted butter before adding next sheet on top. Do not brush butter on the top sheets.
5. Pour the reserved custard over the phyllo, using a spatula to smooth into an even layer, if necessary. Fold longer edges of phyllo over the custard. Top with remaining phyllo sheets one at a time, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Fold over longer edges to fit the pan. Brush top sheet with melted butter. Gently cut top layers of phyllo into 18 squares, being careful not to cut through to the custard layer. (This will make it easier to cut after baking.)
6. Bake until phyllo is golden, about 35 to 40 minutes, checking often toward the end to make sure phyllo doesn't burn. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack, then cut squares all the way through.
7. While galaktoboureko bakes, core and slice strawberries and place in a large bowl. Toss with remaining 3 Tbsp. sugar and remaining 1/2 cup orange juice. Set aside.
8. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Top each square with strawberries and juices.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2014
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories from Fat||n/a|