Print This Recipe
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
1/2 lb Ground veal, 8%
11/2 lb Extra lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
2 cup Ricotta cheese, part skim
2 each Large eggs
1/2 cup Fresh parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated
3 each Fresh basil leaves
3 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
16 oz Lasagna noodles, dry
4 each Fresh garlic cloves
3 tablespoon Olive oil
2 each Fresh celery stalk
2 each Fresh yellow onion
12 oz Canned tomato paste, 6 oz
84 oz Canned tomatoes, diced
2 each Whole dried bay leaves
2 tablespoon Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook veal and 1/2 pound beef in separate pans; add salt and pepper to each of the meats, proper internal temperature for food safety should be 160 degrees F and set aside.
3. Let them cool and then mix together with the ricotta in a bowl.
4. Add the eggs, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup of Romano cheese, and fresh basil; keep mixing until well blended and set aside.
5. In a large skillet, heat oil add garlic, celery and onion; cook, stirring until vegetables are soft.
6. Add meat, cook until meat has browned.
7. Stir in tomato paste, diced tomatoes with liquid, dried bay leaves and sugar.
8. Cover and simmer slowly for two hours, stirring occasionally.
9. Prepare the curly lasagna noodles by following package instructions.
10. Grease a 13 X 9 baking dish and line bottom with cooked pasta strips.
11. Place three rounded tablespoons of ricotta mixture with a ladle of COOLED Tomato Meat Sauce.
12. Spread mixture to cover layer of pasta; cover with a second layer of pasta, then sauce.
13. Sprinkle mozzarella, Parmesan and Romano cheeses; cover with another layer of pasta and continue, ending with layer of pasta.
14. Pour remaining sauce on top of last layer and top with additional cheeses (additional cheeses not included in nutritional analysis)
15. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until top begins to brown.
16. Remove from oven; let stand ten minutes before serving.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||580 kcal (29%)|
|Calories from Fat||324 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||36 g (55%)|
|Saturated Fat||23 g (115%)|
|Cholesterol||180 mg (60%)|
|Sodium||936 mg (39%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||61 g (20%)|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g (28%)|
|Protein||44 g (73%)|
|Vitamin A||1491 IU (29%)|
|Vitamin C||17 mg (28%)|
|Calcium||520 mg (10%)|
|Iron||18 mg (30%)|