Print This Recipe
Servings: Serves 8
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
2 tablespoon Butter
11/2 cup Stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup Unbleached wheat bread flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoon Double acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoon Sugar
2 each Large eggs, slightly beaten
11/2 cup Cultured low fat buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a 9 or 10 inch skillet with an ovenproof handle, and put skillet into hot oven to melt butter and heat pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar together to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk together and add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
4. Remove hot skillet from oven and pour in batter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out dry, with a few crumbs clinging to it.
5. Cut into wedges and serve.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2007
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||191 kcal (9%)|
|Calories from Fat||72 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||8 g (12%)|
|Saturated Fat||6 g (30%)|
|Cholesterol||63 mg (21%)|
|Sodium||508 mg (21%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||35 g (11%)|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g (16%)|
|Protein||9 g (15%)|
|Vitamin A||174 IU (3%)|
|Vitamin C||1 mg (1%)|
|Calcium||136 mg (2%)|
|Iron||8 mg (13%)|