Print This Recipe
Servings: Serves 4
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
4 teaspoon Canola oil
1/2 teaspoon Minced garlic
3 tablespoon Cooking sherry wine
2 teaspoon Spicy mustard, dark
1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon Curry powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
1 each Diced granny smith apple, peeled
1 each Medium banana, peeled and diced
1/4 cup Chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon Salt
16 oz Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/2 inch
1/3 cup Canned chicken broth, low sod
1. Prepare stuffing. In a large, ovenproof skillet or saucepan, heat 2 tsp. of the oil over medium heat. Add garlic, stirring gently to keep it from burning. When garlic starts to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes, add 1 Tbsp. of the sherry and 1 tsp. of the mustard, along with ginger, cinnamon, curry and onion powders, and apple, stirring to mix. Gradually add 1/4 cup of the orange juice, allowing apple to absorb juice before adding more.
2. Mix in banana, walnuts, and salt, then transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside. Keep pan on stove.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Pour remaining 2 tsp. oil into same pan, still on medium heat. When oil is hot, add 2 of the chicken breasts and lightly sear (about 2 minutes), then turn and lightly sear on other side. Repeat with remaining 2 chicken breasts. Turn off heat and remove chicken to a plate.
5. While chicken sears, put remaining 1/2 cup juice, 1 Tbsp. sherry, and 1 tsp. mustard in a small jar with a lid. Shake to mix.
6. Evenly divide fruit-nut stuffing among chicken pieces, spooning it on top and gently folding chicken partway over as if for an omelet. Fasten in place with toothpicks.
7. Place stuffed chicken into same pan. Pour juice mixture over chicken, top loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil, and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
8. Remove foil, spoon pan juices evenly over chicken, and return to oven for another 5 minutes. Test for doneness . meat should be white, with no traces of pink. Transfer to warm serving platter.
9. Return pan to stove top and make sauce. Over medium-high heat, deglaze pan with chicken broth, then add 2 teaspoons sherry, ginger, and salt, scraping any bits of meat and fruit stuck to pan. Pour over chicken and serve.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2008
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||168 kcal (8%)|
|Calories from Fat||171 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||19 g (29%)|
|Saturated Fat||11 g (55%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||164 mg (6%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||27 g (9%)|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g (40%)|
|Protein||11 g (18%)|
|Vitamin A||62 IU (1%)|
|Vitamin C||13 mg (21%)|
|Calcium||27 mg (0%)|
|Iron||12 mg (20%)|