Print This Recipe
Lean Mean Meaty Lasagna
Servings: Serves 9
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Lean Mean Meaty Lasagna
1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
1 each Medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Minced garlic
1 lb Hannaford Inspirations 90% Lean Angus Ground Beef
3/4 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground, divided
28 oz Tomatoes, crushed, cnd
15 oz Canned tomato sauce
1/4 cup Water
1/4 cup Fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (15 oz.) pkg part-skim ricotta
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 each egg
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
12 each no-boil lasagna noodles
2 cups (8 oz.) Mozzarella cheese, part skim, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and 1/2 tsp. of the black pepper. Cook and stir, breaking up meat, until beef is cooked through and onions are soft, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, basil, and oregano. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, and remaining 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Stir until well blended and smooth.
5. Spread 1/2 cup of meat sauce on bottom of baking pan. Put three noodles on top of sauce, leaving about 1/2 inch between noodles.
6. Spoon 1/4 cup of ricotta mixture onto each noodle and spread it to edges. Sprinkle ricotta layer with 1/2 cup mozzarella and top with 1 1/2 cups sauce. Repeat layering twice more to make a total of three layers.
7. Place last three noodles onto lasagna. Top with remaining sauce, then remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella. If you've never cooked with no-boil noodles before, the lasagna may look strange. Don't worry; it flattens and spreads while it bakes.
8. Grease underside of a large piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray and cover lasagna. Bake lasagna for 25 minutes.
9. Remove foil and bake an additional for 20 to 25 minutes. Sauce should be bubbling and cheese should be lightly browned.
10. Let lasagna rest for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut and serve hot.
Suggestions: 2 Tbsp. dried basil can be substituted for fresh.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2008
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||420 kcal (21%)|
|Calories from Fat||162 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||18 g (27%)|
|Saturated Fat||9 g (45%)|
|Cholesterol||90 mg (30%)|
|Sodium||530 mg (22%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||35 g (11%)|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g (16%)|
|Protein||30 g (50%)|