Print This Recipe
Servings: Serves 1
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Prep Time: 40 minutes
1/4 cup Mirin wine
1/4 cup Low sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoon Sugar
2 each Peppers, bell, yellow, cored, seeded, cut into 1 1/2-in pcs
11/2 lb Hannaford Inspirations bonless, skinless chicken thighs
6 each Scallion, sliced into 1 inch pieces
Yakitori (yah-keh-tor-ee) is a popular snack food in Japan. Serve one skewer per person as an appetizer, or two for an entrie.
1. Soak 12 bamboo skewers (see page 7) in water for at least 15 minutes.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together mirin, soy sauce, and sugar until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes (it may come to a low simmer). Remove from heat; set aside.
3. Preheat grill to high heat. Assemble skewers: thread each skewer with a piece of pepper first, then a piece of chicken, then a piece of scallion (spear scallion piece horizontally, not through hollow part). Repeat so that each skewer has roughly three sets of each ingredient.
4. Grill skewers for 5 minutes on each side. Using a pastry brush, coat top surface of skewers with basting sauce. Let skewers grill 3 minutes. Flip and coat second side of each skewer with sauce; let grill another 3 minutes.
5. Continue to grill, flip, and brush skewers with sauce for about 5 more minutes, until basting sauce is gone, chicken is cooked through (check doneness by cutting into a piece), and a little bit of char shows up on tips of chicken and vegetables. Transfer cooked skewers to a clean plate; serve hot.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2008
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||182 kcal (9%)|
|Calories from Fat||27 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||3 g (4%)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g (15%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||3625 mg (151%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||43 g (14%)|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g (32%)|
|Protein||12 g (20%)|
|Vitamin A||1972 IU (39%)|
|Vitamin C||466 mg (776%)|
|Calcium||150 mg (3%)|
|Iron||9 mg (15%)|