Print This Recipe
Servings: Serves 4
Cook Time: 34 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
4 oz Pancetta, diced
11/2 lb Strip steak, cut into 1" chunks
8 oz Baby bella mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
2 each Thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup Parsnips, peeled and finely shredded
11/2 teaspoon Minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon Dried thyme
2 cup Red wine
1/2 lb Frozen pearl onions
1 tablespoon Tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon Dry mustard
2 tablespoon Flour
11/2 cup Beef broth, low sodium
2 tablespoon Chives, fresh, finely sliced
Bourguignon (pronounced bur-geen-yohn)is a hearty French stew, fabulous on a coldwinter's night. It's traditionally preparedwith a red Burgundy wine, made fromPinot noir grapes, and stew meat, whichneeds to cook a long time. Our streamlinedversion calls for strip steak, which cooksquickly. For a delicious splurge, try the dishwith filet mignon. Serve with buttered eggnoodles, mashed potatoes, or rice. Recipemay be frozen and halved.
1. In a large soup pot over medium-highheat, cook and stir pancetta until crispy,about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add beef and cook until seared on mostsides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slottedspoon, transfer beef and pancetta to aplate. Set aside.
3. Add mushrooms, carrots, parsnips, garlic,salt, pepper, and thyme to pot and cook overmedium-high heat, stirring occasionally,until mushrooms start to release some liquid,about 8 to 10 minutes. If mixture starts tobrown too quickly, reduce heat to medium.
4. Add wine and onions to pot and bringto a simmer. Cook until carrots are tender,about 5 to 6 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together tomatopaste, mustard, flour, and beef broth and setaside. When carrots are tender, stir in beefbroth mixture. Stir until mixture comes to asimmer and thickens slightly.
6. Return beef and pancetta to pot and heatto cook through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Divideamong four bowls and garnish with chives.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2008
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||65 kcal (3%)|
|Calories from Fat||99 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||11 g (16%)|
|Saturated Fat||11 g (55%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||621 mg (25%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||18 g (6%)|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g (40%)|
|Protein||13 g (21%)|
|Vitamin A||5232 IU (104%)|
|Vitamin C||12 mg (20%)|
|Calcium||39 mg (0%)|
|Iron||13 mg (21%)|