Print This Recipe
Servings: Serves 16
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
5/6 cup Sugar
2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 cup Dark corn syrup
14 oz Canned sweetened condensed milk
4 oz CANDIES, BARS / CHIPS, SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE
11/4 cup Butter
A buttery base supports layers of luscious caramel and dark chocolate. May be frozen.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8- or 9-inch square pan or a 7-by-11-inch pan with parchment paper, letting ends of paper extend over edges of pan, or spray pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Prepare shortbread base. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to cream butter and sugar until smooth and lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl and beaters as needed with a rubber spatula. Mix in vanilla. Sift together flour, cornstarch, and baking powder and add to bowl. Mix on low speed until dough forms large clumps and holds together, about 1 minute.
3. If dough is too heavy to clump together with the mixer, use your hands to push it together.
4. Using your fingers, press dough gently and evenly into prepared pan. Bake until top is golden and edges brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
5. While shortbread bakes, prepare caramel filling. Put butter, sugar, syrup, and condensed milk in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 15 minutes. Continue boiling, stirring gently and constantly, 4 more minutes. Mixture should darken to a light caramel color. Be careful, as mixture may splatter. Remove pan from heat and pour filling over shortbread.
5. Let caramel filling cool for 5 minutes, then sprinkle chocolate chips over filling. Let chips soften until they melt, about 5 minutes. Use a knife or spatula to spread melted chocolate over filling.
6. Let chocolate set until firm, about 2 to 3 hours. When set, cut shortbread into 16 squares. Remove from pan and separate the pieces. Store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2009
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||373 kcal (18%)|
|Calories from Fat||216 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||24 g (36%)|
|Saturated Fat||17 g (85%)|
|Cholesterol||51 mg (17%)|
|Sodium||97 mg (4%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||51 g (17%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||8 g (13%)|
|Vitamin A||534 IU (10%)|
|Vitamin C||1 mg (1%)|
|Calcium||109 mg (2%)|
|Iron||8 mg (13%)|