Print This Recipe
Cast-Iron Jalapeno Cornbread
Servings: Serves 6
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 35 minutes
1 1/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup unbleached flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 whole jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 3/4 cup buttermilk or soymilk
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 whole tomato, seeded and diced
1. Preheat oven to 425degrees. Place 10-inch cast-iron skillet in oven to preheat.
2. In large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Stir in jalapeno.
3. In medium bowl, whisk egg. Whisk in buttermilk and two tablespoons of olive oil. Squeeze juice out of tomatoes and then stir them into buttermilk mixture.
4. Quickly stir buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture. Carefully remove cast-iron pan from oven and place it on a cooling rack. Drizzle remaining tablespoon of oil into pan and swirl to coat.
5. Scrape batter into hot pan. Return to oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Courtesy of Taste for Life
Recipe from Robin Asbell
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||307 kcal (15%)|
|Calories from Fat||126 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||14 g (21%)|
|Saturated Fat||8 g (40%)|
|Cholesterol||39 mg (13%)|
|Sodium||907 mg (37%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||52 g (17%)|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g (24%)|
|Protein||14 g (23%)|
|Vitamin A||302 IU (6%)|
|Vitamin C||7 mg (11%)|
|Calcium||175 mg (3%)|
|Iron||10 mg (16%)|