Print This Recipe
Confetti Beef and Spinach Pie
Servings: Makes 4 servings
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
1 lb 96% lean ground beef
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained well
4 oz hern-flavored feta cheese, crumbled
2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaf, crushed
1 whole onion,chopped, (about 2 cups)
4 to 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, defrosted, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick strips (4 cups)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Heat oven to 400degreesF. Squeeze spinach to remove any excess moisture. Combine spinach, cheese, eggs and oregano in medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Brown ground beef with onion in large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is not pink, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Add beef mixture to spinach mixture; mix well. Wipe out skillet.
3. Combine phyllo strips and oil in medium bowl; toss to coat well. Spray same skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1/2 of phyllo strips in bottom of skillet; top with beef mixture, pressing with back of spoon or spatula to flatten. Top with remaining phyllo strips.
4. Bake in 400degreesF oven 15 to 18 minutes or until beef is heated through and topping is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges to serve.
Cook's Tip: The pie may also be baked in a 2-quart or 8x8-inch glass baking dish instead of the skillet. Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and assemble as directed in step 3.
Cook's Tip: Frozen phyllo dough is sold in a variety of 16-ounce packages. For packages with the dimensions of about 14x18 inches use 4 sheets of the dough; for packages with dimensions of 9x14 inches use 8 sheets of the dough to equal 4 cups dough strips.
Photo and Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes 4 servings|
|Calories||220 kcal (11%)|
|Calories from Fat||189 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||21 g (32%)|
|Saturated Fat||11 g (55%)|
|Cholesterol||132 mg (44%)|
|Sodium||427 mg (17%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||13 g (4%)|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g (24%)|
|Protein||15 g (25%)|
|Vitamin A||8578 IU (171%)|
|Vitamin C||8 mg (13%)|
|Calcium||265 mg (5%)|
|Iron||8 mg (13%)|