Print This Recipe
Servings: Makes 6 servings
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
1 1/2 lb ground beef
2 whole poblano chili, cored and seeded
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 whole egg
1 whole canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup shredded chihuahua cheese, Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
3 tablespoon adobo seasoning
1. Heat oven to 350degreesF. Combine ground beef, onion, bread crumbs, egg, chipotle pepper, salt and black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
2. Divide beef mixture in half. Shape each half into 8 x 4-inch loaf. Place 1 loaf on rack in broiler pan. Arrange half of the poblano pepper strips lengthwise over loaf, leaving 1/4-inch border around edge. Sprinkle cheese over peppers; top with remaining peppers. Place remaining loaf on top; press edges of loaves together to seal, reshaping loaf if necessary. Brush adobo sauce over top and sides of meatloaf.
3. Bake in 350degreesF oven 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes to medium (160degreesF) doneness, until beef is not pink in center and juices show no pink color.
4. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into slices.
Cook's Tip: To roast poblano peppers, arrange seeded pepper halves, skin side up, on large sheet of aluminum foil. Place on broiler rack so surface of peppers is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 15 minutes or until skin is blackened. Fold aluminum foil over peppers to enclose. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove and discard blackened skins from peppers.
Cook's Tip: To make soft bread crumbs, place torn bread in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs. One and one-half slices make about 1 cup crumbs.
Cook's Tip: Shape meatloaves on plastic wrap to help transfer to broiler rack and keep countertop clean. For easy cleanup, line broiler pan (not rack) with aluminum foil.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.
Photo and Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes 6 servings|
|Calories||225 kcal (11%)|
|Calories from Fat||99 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||11 g (16%)|
|Saturated Fat||10 g (50%)|
|Cholesterol||48 mg (16%)|
|Sodium||686 mg (28%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||40 g (13%)|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g (36%)|
|Protein||16 g (26%)|
|Vitamin A||2141 IU (42%)|
|Vitamin C||309 mg (515%)|
|Calcium||151 mg (3%)|
|Iron||11 mg (18%)|