Print This Recipe
Beef Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Grits
Servings: Makes 4 to 6
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
1 center-cut beef tenderloin roast (2 to 3 pounds)
3 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoon butter
1 lb assorted wild mushrooms (oyster,cremini and shiitake), coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat oven to 425degreesF. Combine thyme and 4 teaspoons pepper; reserve 1 tablespoon for mushrooms. Press remaining seasoning mixture evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
2. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425degreesF oven 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 45 to 50 minutes for medium doneness.
3. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135degreesF for medium rare; 150degreesF for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10degreesF to reach 145degreesF for medium rare; 160degreesF for medium.)
4. Meanwhile melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and 1tablespoon reserved seasoning; cook and stir about 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Season with salt. Keep warm.
5. Carve roast into slices. Serve over grits, as desired; top with mushrooms.
Photo and Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes 4 to 6|
|Calories||43 kcal (2%)|
|Calories from Fat||63 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||7 g (10%)|
|Saturated Fat||6 g (30%)|
|Cholesterol||11 mg (3%)|
|Sodium||101 mg (4%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||4 g (1%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||4 g (6%)|
|Vitamin A||177 IU (3%)|
|Vitamin C||3 mg (5%)|
|Calcium||37 mg (0%)|
|Iron||6 mg (10%)|