Print This Recipe
Grande Beef Empanada
Servings: Makes 4
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup raisins, chopped
1/4 cup chili sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1whole refrigerated pie crust
1 tablespoon water
1 cup mexican home style salsa (topping optional)
1 tablespoon Cliantro leaves (topping optional)
1. Heat oven to 400degreesF. Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is not pink, breaking up into small crumbles. Pour off drippings.
2. Stir in raisins, chili sauce, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
3. Unfold pie crust; place on baking sheet. Spoon beef mixture evenly over 1/2 of dough,leaving 1-1/2-inch border around edge. Moisten edge of dough with water; fold pastry over filling. Press edges of dough together with fork to seal. Prick center of dough withfork once or twice to form steam vents.
4. Bake in 400degreesF oven 16 to 18 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve with toppings, if desired.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; a good source of iron.
Photo and Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Beef Empanada Appetizers: Increase refrigerated pie crusts to 3 or 1-1/2 (15-ounce)packages. Prepare ground beef filling as above. Roll out each pie crust to a 14-inch circleon a lightly floured surface. Cut 10 circles from each crust with a 3-1/2-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, spacing the cutouts closely. Spoon a generous tablespoon beef filling in center of each circle, leaving 1/4-inch border around edge. Moisten edge of dough with water; fold pastry over filling to form half-circle. Press edges together with fork to seal.Place on baking sheet. Bake in 400degreesF oven 14 to 16 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve as above. Makes 30 appetizers.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||265 kcal (13%)|
|Calories from Fat||189 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||21 g (32%)|
|Saturated Fat||10 g (50%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||402 mg (16%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||35 g (11%)|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g (32%)|
|Protein||9 g (15%)|
|Vitamin A||17 IU (0%)|
|Vitamin C||6 mg (10%)|
|Calcium||21 mg (0%)|
|Iron||9 mg (15%)|